Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Pinch me!

I must be dreaming. You know when you imagine your perfect yarn shop? You picture a light and airy shop, staffed by knowledgable people who are passionate about knitting, places to sit and knit, magazines to flick through and shelving stocked high with beautiful and unusual yarns. Well I have found a shop that is all this and more.

Yesterday I was driving to my Dad's in the evening when I something caught my eye. It looked for all the world like a sign saying 'Bergere de France', but I thought I must be imagining it. On the way home I drove as slowly as I could (much to the consternation of the car behind me) and there it was! An honest to goodness yarn shop! I tried not to get my hopes up - there is nothing worse than having expectations of beautiful yarn and then them being crushed by an avalanche of fun fur. So, when I decided to take a little trip there this lunchtime I was cautious in my optimism. Yes, they had Bergere de France but maybe that was it. Maybe it would be acrylic central, novelty yarn being crammed into every nook and cranny. There might even be Loopas.

They do indeed have a little bit of acrlic. I think I saw some fun fur too. But these were at the back of the shop and in a definite minority. What the wonderful and lovely Jill did have was Noro, Louisa Harding, Laines du Nord, Collinette and more! There was a small amount of Debbie Bliss, masses of Bergere de France, the cutest buttons, fantastic books and patterns, samples knitted up and tables and chairs to sit at and knit. There were knittng magazines to browse through and a table and chairs for little people to sit at and play (there was a toybox too).

Jill, the owner, has said she will be running some classes and maybe a knittng group too. She's welcoming suggestions of what to stock and when I asked about sock wool said that she would be getting some Opal in soon.

Obviously I couldn't leave this Aladdin's cave of woolly treasure without a purchase or two (hey, local small shops need our support!) and so this is what I got


I got two Collinette books, Muse and Jelly Allstars, a Bergere de France pattern, some ladybird buttons and 4 hanks of Collinette Lassoo in 'Summer Berries' colourway. I'm planning on knitting 'Metis' from Muse, and all plans on finising off current WIP's have vanished. I love Collinette so much!

6 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Lucky you! Hope the same happens to me one day..! It sounds like a fantastic shop and a play area too! Is there a section for amusing non-knitting partners? :-P

4:21 pm  
Blogger Auntie Noo said...

You're so lucky to have found a good LYS. Mine is as you had feared!!!! Quite right in spending a few bob - they must be supported! and bergere too . . . . . I'm drooling just imagining it all!!

5:58 pm  
Blogger belaybunny said...

I love the colinette lasso. I'm looking to get some of that soon, so will be interested to see your results. I also have the kid's colinette book, I love it. Only knitted one of the hats so far. Want to do the dress for DD's birthday in November.

7:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so lucky, I have to travel just over 30 miles to get to my nearest Colinette supplier, she too is a very helpful woman.

7:56 pm  
Blogger Lothlorian said...

right so when can I move in....I wont be any trouble you can take me there too PLEEEEAAAASSSSSEEEEE ;)

9:10 pm  
Blogger Jacqui said...

I have a lovely LYS too - and the biggest lovely is the lady who runs it, how does she remember my name every time I go in? Is it because i talk too much :) Many a wonderful hour spent on retail therapy, enjoy your LYS.

10:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home