Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Freaking 4 ply

It amazes me that kntting still surprises me. I have been knitting since I was a teeny badger, and have knitted all kinds of garments and toys. I've used all different weights of yarn and all different fibres (including one experiment with novelty yarn which was quite traumatic - we'll say no more about it), and so whilst a pattern or technique may cause me to give a surprised "ooh", the basic bare bones of knitting shouldn't cause mass anguish.

Baby knitting is the ultimate misleading knitting. I always think I like knitting for them because the clothes are so ickle, and so will be nice and speedy. WRONG WRONG WRONG! I mentioned a while ago about knitting a bear suit, and now is the time for me to acknowledge this garment and pay some attention to it. Basically, it goes from ankle to crown with wrist length sleeves and is by Debbie Bliss, so it's on the roomy side. And it is knitted almost totally in one colour stocking stitch in 4 ply. It is taking forever and slowly sapping my will to live. It is so dull and so slow that I can only knit on it for an hour or so at a time before I start wanting to gnaw my own knuckles to the bone to relieve the tedium. Anyway, I am going to go and see the young Mr James P Badger (for whom the suit is being made) on Sunday, and so now I have a deadline i'm hoping it will be spur me on. Maybe I'll finally remember for future baby knitting that a large garment in 4 ply is not a quick knit, but a serious commitment that requires fortitude, dedication, planning and copious amounts of red wine.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

aww.. poor badger! you have my sympathies... baby clothes are so cute.. but st st is such a bore..

3:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Badger Go badger.. I am wanting to knit a baby Item for someone..now I am not so sure

5:58 pm  
Blogger dianemulholland said...

I hear you! The baby cardi I'm working on is killing me! It was supposed to be a fast stash-eater and needs to be done this week so I can leave it behind. It has a lovely interesting yoke then MILES of stocking stitch. Thank goodness I've reached the pattern again at the hem.

9:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I havn't had the courage to knit 4ply since my eyesight got worse.But I know that suit and it is so cute ,it will all be worth it in the end.B.T.W Lyonheart that is a cute cat !

7:28 am  
Blogger Auntie Noo said...

I NEVER knit 4 ply (apart from socks!!!!) It's a rule I set myself when I was about 12 and have never thought to break!!!!! - You have my absolute sympathies!!!! However, when it's done it'll be lovely and everyone will coo over it, and you'll be a proud badger.

(Thanks for the Texere thought - I had that same thought last night actually and trawled their website but as you say not really easy care!!! - hoping to find something at ally pally I think!!!!)

11:28 am  
Blogger Linda said...

I am doing a me size cardi in 4ply at the moment ... it will be a long time before I do another I can tell you!!!
Keep going, you'll get there in the end!

11:49 am  
Blogger Kate said...

Try knitting a gyspy-sized cardigan in 4ply stocking stitch and then you will know true agony. :-|

On the positive side, think how splendid the small badgerlet will look. :-D

8:21 am  
Blogger Lothlorian said...

aahh but think of the achievement ;) but no wip picky...shame on you tssk tskk I love that pattern, sadly my tiddlers were not tiddly enough to make one :(

10:08 am  
Blogger Rain said...

Knit, Badger, knit.

I feel your pain. 4 ply is the bane of my life at the moment too.

11:24 am  
Blogger Hellbelle said...

Tricksy things are baby clothes, hoodwinking us into thinking that we can get them done by the weekend then tripping us up with their tiny stitches or intricate details.

Damn them... but they are so cute ;)

1:02 pm  
Blogger T said...

Chin up Badge, it'll be so worth it. I know what you mean as all knitting is currently sapping my will to live. And it's supposed to be something we do for pleasure, lol.

9:44 am  
Blogger acrylik said...

Keep going - I hope you make it for Sunday.

11:37 am  
Blogger KnitYoga said...

Yes, baby things can be misleading as they are often so fiddly. Personally, I don't like them making just because of this and especially in four ply plain st st. Ugh! I sympathise but just think how you'll feel when it's all done and you can look forward to something a bit more exciting! Also, I reckon it'll be worth it as it'll look really cute and be very well received.

12:49 pm  
Blogger Seahorse said...

Lots of sympathy here as well! Tis a lovely suit though and wee Badger nephew will look great in it.

3:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home