Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Knitting? What knitting?

I have barely touched the needles for a week now. So depressing, and so unlike me. However, there has been a good reason for the lack of anything knitterly - I've got a new job! I am now on a graduate trainee librarian programme for the next year at Mansfield library and am feeling like a jolly happy young badger. Hurray for me!

The little bit of knitting that has been happening is all sock based. I knitted one sock for myself on Saturday. The yarn is Angel Yarns DK angora and was incredibly quick to knit. I'm always amazed at the speed DK socks seem to knit at, at least 4 times as fast as 4 ply for some reason. I think it must be psychological, you see a sock progressing fast so you want to keep going. Maybe. Anyways, this is the solo bunny sock:


My foot feels like it is encased in clouds the yarn is so soft. These are a definate luxury and pure indulgence, but as a new librarian-to-be I feel I deserve them ;)

In other sock knitting news I got some new wool. My dad recently went to America with the badger boy and I requested American sock wool as a pressie. My dad has no knowledge or interest in knitting so I knew this was an optimistic request and when he told me he'd found wool I thought it would be nice but probably nothing special. How wrong could I have been?! I'd asked for specifically Yankee wool and Badger Dad did not disappoint! Check out the close up.



This is handspun from a farm somewhere in Michigan but more than that I know nothing. This is a really soft 3 ply unknown fibre. The weight is just above DK and will make a great pair of boot socks. I'm going to knit the socks toe up so I can use every last inch of yarn.

The other piece of sock news is the posh yarns socks have bitten the dust. They were looking like this




Excuse the crappyy photo, but as the sock is now defunct it's the best you're going to get. I decided the yarn and pattern were fighting each other too much and so I abandoned them and thought a simple stockinette sock with a picot hem would be nice instead. Unfortunately the yarn was pooling too much and so the yarn has now been ditched too. These were supposed to be for a friend so I'm now planning on knitting a straightforward pair of standard socks in opal flamingo as these shouldn't cause any problems (touch wood).

And finally thanks for all the comments on the hat. I have no idea what colour it is, but no doubt the Colinette aficionados out there will let me know. Several of you seemed to be wondering about upsizing it to fit adult heads, but there's no need. It fits!

21 Comments:

Blogger Seahorse said...

Hooray for the new job!

I love the American yarn. Gorgeous stuff!

7:32 am  
Blogger Wye Sue said...

Well done for the job :-)

Hope you can walk round quietly with your posh soft socks !

8:30 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new job!!

I've always wanted to be a librarian!! I love books.. my place could be a mini library and when I eventually get my belongings back from the ex, there should be tonnes more!! yippee!

I love the angora sock.. so sctummy and luxurious... *drools*

I have the Posh Yarn as well.. bit worried now.. I'm making my other sis socks out of that... (when I eventually get round to it, of course!)

You're dad is a star... I don't think mine would come back with anything at all if I mentioned 'wool' to him!! :D

8:31 am  
Blogger Auntie Noo said...

*YAY* for the job, that is so cool!

Lovely angora sock - is it weird to walk in a cloud?!!
Shame about the posh sock - it looked good on the photo, but then things often do!
Lovely yarn from your Dad, what a clever big Badger he is!

8:48 am  
Blogger Kate said...

*covets the bunny sock* :-D

Lovely news about your new job, Badger!

9:26 am  
Blogger Hellbelle said...

Shhhh! ;)

Well done on becoming a librarian!

Those angora socks look so warm and fuzzy, shame about the posh ones though.

9:29 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on becomming a librarian...I would like to do that..well in a decent Library not ours!!
All your Socks look great even though I cannot bring myself to do anymore.

10:26 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news about the job! You can be their chief advisor on purchasing knitting titles :o)

12:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on you new job!!
I knew you would get there in the end and definately no less than you deserve.
Those fluffy socks look devine and well done Dad Badger, that yarn looks great!

Linz x

4:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm. Baby badger grew up quickly. How strange.

I wish some of my sock yarn would pool. Sigh. Woe is me. Poor little me. Oooh that reminds me I own you wool. I wonder if I should nip to JL tonight and see if they have it. Don't reckon I'll make GK open day, I'm sure they're going to keep my car in :( Oh that reminds me. I need to sort out my insurance. Good grief, this is the best thing ever, I'm remembering everything. Now if I could just remember what I was meant to be doing next... I think I'll go home, do my insurance and then go JL. I'm too tired to figure out numbers tonight.

OH THAT REMINDS ME! Sort out your list of links. 'Nuff said. :D

4:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And then, on the way home, I remembered more stuff! Like, I have a meeting I can't skive tomorrow at 10.30, and my car is booked in at 11. That was clever of me wasn't it. So I'll have to take it next week. But I did sort out my insurance. Which means I COULD go to Bristol, cos my MOT is still in date and I have insurance whoo! But I might not. I have the fear. I'm off to JL now. Think happy yarn thoughts...

4:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definately "Florentina" tagleatelli. I love Silkwood's angora ,socks must de gorgeous.

5:57 pm  
Blogger blog-blethers said...

Fantastic news about your job and direction - well done and hope it proves to be as challenging and rewarding as you hope! Love the AY socks. They look an absolute dream to wear

8:07 pm  
Blogger Catknit said...

Woohoo!!
Lucky Badger, new job(congrats on that)
fluffy socks (don't you just love the indulgence)
and fab yarn from US. My Dad would be completely clueless as to yarn purchases despite spending his entire life with knitters!
Best of luck with the new job, I'm sure you'll love it and fit in right away.

9:38 am  
Blogger Rain said...

Congrats on the new job.

The angora socks look so warm and cosy.

9:44 am  
Blogger Alice said...

I like your fluffy sock. I've always stayed away from knitting such fluffy socks, thinking that the yarn might pill too much. You must let us know how they wear.

I hope your job goes well for you, and that you enjoy it.

9:46 am  
Blogger KnitYoga said...

Congrats on the new job! That yarn from the US looks really special!

12:24 pm  
Blogger Daisy said...

Congrats on the job! I loved my year as a grad. trainee librarian and hope you enjoy yours just as much!

4:28 pm  
Blogger T said...

Someone else here who always wanted to be a librarian. Congratulations!
I think I remember those socks in SK? They look gorgeous and soft.
The yarn Badger Dad got looks lovely, really good for Winter - which won't be long :(

5:31 pm  
Blogger acrylik said...

Congratulations on the new job! That is fantastic news!

Wow, the angora sock looks just gorgeous and so comfy.

Badger Dad did a great job finding you that yarn :)

7:31 pm  
Blogger Piglottie said...

Congratulations on the new job. I loved being a librarian, and may go back to it one day.

The angora sock looks delicious and am in awe of your Dad finding scrummy yarn!

11:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home