Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Hearing voices

I have a little voice in my head. It doesn't say much, but every now and again it passes a coment on what I'm doing or about to do. Some people may call this a conscience, but mine isn't concerned with right or wrong, just my rational behaviour (or lack of, mostly).

Today, for instance, the little voice has been shouting at me. I made an executive decision to overrule it (hey, it's my mind, I can do what I want) and these have been the consequences.

  1. I went to IKEA, despite the voice's warning. I went with a toddler and her imaginary monkey to buy a mattress and a few bits and bobs. It wasn't pretty when I ended up smashing all 12 wine glasses I had bought immediately outside the exit, and nor was it pleasant to drag the matress across the carpark with the toddler hanging on to it and screaming that we had left the imaginary monkey in the shop.


  2. I also ignored the voice when it questioned the wisdom of going out in the morning when I was waiting for my new camera to be delivered. Voice was ignored, I missed the postie and now have to collect it tomorrow.


  3. The voice raised a slight concern over the fact I was ordering a large pizza and enough side orders to feed a family of 6 when it was only for me and a small person. The voice foresaw indigestion and was right.


  4. I cast on for a sweet little baby kimono, again from Mason Dixon Knitting. I decided to use stash and chose 2 balls of Rowan handknit cotton. I checked the yardage of the called for yarn, compared it to my Rowan, noticed there was a discrepancy and yet still cast on. The voice murmered a complaint but at this stage knew it was being ignored so dodn't force the issue. The outcome was fairly predictable.





So now I have to decide which is the best course of action to take. Do I attempt to hunt down the dyelot, or frog a bit of the back and left front to make the kimono even ickler? I have a feeling frogging is the only way to go. Next time I really will try and pay attention to the voice.

15 Comments:

Blogger T said...

You remind me of me. And don't say IKEA any more, it's not nice ;o)

Frogging is probably most sensible. It's really cute though.
I hope tomorrow is better, poor Badger.

8:58 pm  
Blogger dianemulholland said...

Life's too short to listen to voices - then you would spend all your time saying "but if I had done that what would have been the outcome...?"

I was going to suggest frogging and putting a contrast stripe all the way around the bottom but I like Cherry's idea much better!

9:35 pm  
Blogger dreamcatcher said...

I love that kimono pattern, Cherry's idea sounds spot-on :-)

Visits to IKEA always end up with some degree of hassle, in our experience. I think we may be venturing to our nearest store in search of a few bits and bobs this weekend. Whether this is wise is another matter!

Hope tomorrow is much nicer, and enjoy your new camera :-)

11:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor you! Never listen to the voice though - that way boredom and predictability lie. My kids had imaginary animals too, the two puppies Mac and Jane were always misbehaving in shops, while Sandy, the shark (don't ask) seemed to hate buses. Love the tiny kimono, like the idea of adding some contrast yarn - go for it.

2:35 am  
Blogger Hellbelle said...

Days like that are best ended with a glass (or three) of wine and forgotten about ;)

9:17 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frog it and knit a cape instead.

10:20 am  
Blogger Rain said...

Fancy leaving the monkey behind.

I'd have suggested taking a bit off the back and other front with a contrast stripe all the way round.

11:35 am  
Blogger Seahorse said...

I like Cherry's idea.

Did you go back for the monkey? Poor thing might still be wandering the aisles, desperately searching for you amongst the sea of wicker and beech.

12:28 pm  
Blogger acrylik said...

Go for Cherry's idea, definitely.

Oh I really hope you did go back for the monkey :( Seahorse has made me fret now!

5:07 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had an imaginary Horse Holly called Neddy who ( wait for this) wore spangled suits like an old Elvis .He visited me in hospital ..so glad the other patients couldn't see him...he's left to work in Vegas I think.

5:45 pm  
Blogger Lothlorian said...

ahh the joys, you could very well have been talking about me there, can you buy these imaginary monkeys in the shops, I could do with one for youngest ;)

6:21 pm  
Blogger blog-blethers said...

Oooohhhh badger, what a day! The kimino is gorgeous and little one will look beautiful in it with her colouring. I hope you get it sorted out and avoid the frogging ... I laughed at the Ikea tale. Last time we went, they had the IKEA Tumble Team there bouncing on their mattresses (???) to show how resilient the mattresses are ... team, mostly male, were scraped into the tightest lycra outfits I have ever clapped eyes on!!!! It was ME that was dragged away, with steamed up specs, from IKEA ... DDs sharing despairing looks! Thanks for the info to about scribes for GSCEs - off to plan the campaign now!

10:45 pm  
Blogger Auntie Noo said...

I rarely listen to my voices - but then my life turns out much as your day did!!!!! - but it's fun in a rebelious kind of way!!!!

Kimono looks great, Cherry's idea is good, little badger would love an embellishment anyway - remember the pockets!!!!!

9:23 am  
Blogger KnitYoga said...

I get that little voice, too, telling me I shouldn't do this or that and I mostly ignore it! The little kimono is something I've been thinking of making. It's so sweet. What a shame that you ran out of yarn. Would it be possible to use another colour as contrast? I like Cherry's idea, too. When I first saw the Kimono, I thought I'd add a small crocheted flower.

9:53 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the reminders of what life is like with a toddler. Mine are at junior and senior school now and Idon't miss shopping trips like that at all. Would love to live near an IKEA though.

12:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home