Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Pointy pointy

For those who admired the delightful pointiness of my miters, I have words of advice.

  1. Choose a good recipe. I'm using the Mason Dixon method of mitering and find it gives a pretty good point to begin with. I tried another recipe that I found on a random blog and found that the lines seemed less sharp.
  2. Use cotton and knit it at a gauge you find comfy. Cotton is such an arse to knit with that if you're struggling with too loose or too tight stitches then you're going to have trubble maintaining consistent gauge. Ignore the recommended needle size and choose one you like.
  3. Most importantly, my points are delightfully pointy because I fudged them to be that way. I'm sewing in ends as I go along, and that's the perfect opportunity to use the yarn end to tweak your points into pointiness.
So there you go.

I also managed to get pictures of the finished toddler dress.







Pattern: Dunno what it's called as I can't find the pattern book, but it's from Colinette's Jelly Allstars

Yarn: Colineet prism, 2 hanks in Turqoise; Colinette Giotto, 1 hank in Mardi Gras

Yarn Source: The Wool Baa

Modifications: Knitted in the round to avoid seaming and did a 3 needle bind off at the shoulders. Lost the pattern book after knitting the body and so made up a crochet edging for the neck and armholes rather than picking up stitches and knitting a neckband (also I'd run out of the prism yarn). Knitted the frill using a bit of common sense and lots of increasing which made it far frillier and rufflier than the pattern called for.

Thoughts: The sizing on this pattern is definitely on the small side with regard to length. The weight of the prism causes it to pull down a bit and lengthrn it, but it does seem to be on the short side to me. If I'd knitted the pattern as written I would definitely not have had enough yarn to seam the dress and pick up the stitches for the neck and armbands, and so it would mean having to break into a 3rd skein.



Competition reminder: Closing date is tomorrow at 23:59, so get your guess posted if you want to be in with a chance of winning some yarny goodness.

9 Comments:

Blogger florencemary said...

The Pirate girlie looks wonderful (hopefully she's feeling better?).

I'm hoping to win your competition by saying that you will not post on your blog on the 31 May... so exciting!

9:29 pm  
Blogger Piglottie said...

Hehe, you've only just lit up on my bloglines and I thought the badger's cutting it a bit fine today ;) Love the dress and such a cute model. I adore Colinette Prism.

10:46 pm  
Blogger Sarah Ditum said...

Oh yes, the pirate definitely looks perked up. That's a fine bit of modeling she putting on for you there. Cute dress - did it inspire you to go back for more yarn already?

11:12 pm  
Blogger TutleyMutley said...

Definitely less PINK and much more smily little badger.

11:28 pm  
Blogger Joy said...

How nice to see your little girl looking better today, and what a lovely dress. I have used The Wool Baa by phone and found them excellent and very efficient.

11:37 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today! It's today! And it was all a big joke to make everyone post comments and now Badger's laughing at us all.

8:11 pm  
Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Glad the little'un is feeling better, the dress is lovely!

11:09 pm  
Blogger Kai said...

baby badger is definitely looking perkier. and the dress is lovely!

6:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is that the top that she got from mrs swiss santa??

boootiful! :)

9:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home