Sunday, June 17, 2007

The socks and the goodies

First up, the progress shot of the sidewinder socks. The yarn is Hundertwasser in yellows - a most unusual colour for me, but I thought as it was just for socks I'd try and introduce the tiniest bit of yellow into my life.



So far everything seems to be going well with the socks, I just haven't had too much time to knit on them, hence the piddlingly little bit of sock you see there.

Now for the goodies! A few days ago, Clarabelle posted about why many young people don't want to knit. She invited comments on it, and so I weighed in with my thoughts. Apparently she liked what my brain churned out and so she sent me something yummy. Check this out!



This is two balls of Angel Yarns sock yarn, in chocolate plum. This is a very unusual colour with a lot of depth to it, and as soon as I saw it I immediately thought of socks for my Dad. He's a very fussy fella, but I just knew that this would be a perfect yarn for Dad socks. I'm thinking I'll probably go for a pattern with a fair bit of stretch to it, maybe some kind of waffle stitch. It's hard to tell from my crappy photography, but the yarn has flecks of purple in it, making it look almost tweedy and giving it real depth of colour.



And this is 3 skeins of kid mohair from the Natural Dye Studio, in the most beautiful dusky lavender shade. It's more like Colinette's Parisienne than Rowan's KSH (which is a good thing in my opinion), and I have a total of 600 yards. I have not the slightest clue what to make with this yet, so all suggestions welcome.

Clarabelle, thankyou so much - this was an amazingly generous thing to do, and you've really made my week :)

10 Comments:

Blogger Caroline M said...

The sock is not calling to me, not yet at any rate. The link below is to a list of triangular shawls by yardage in case that gives you any ideas for the fluffy thin stuff and there's a lot of scarves come stoles in Victorian Lace Today that take less than 600 yards.

http://simpleknits.blogspot.com/2007/04/triangle-shawls-galore.html

8:34 am  
Blogger Fiona Reynolds said...

Great "Hundertwasser" - I've got that one. Slightly dubious about introducing yellow to the wardrobe too. And with justification. I got the yarn and a flippin' yellow T-shirt appeared from nowhere.

I think they may be breeding.

8:46 am  
Blogger Piglottie said...

Yeah for yellow!!! Bring a little sunshine inside I say :) And the AY sock yarn is stunning, what a beautiful colour. I have some Mohair (from PY) and I'm going to knit one of the patterns from VLT with it - a simple rectangle stole with diamonds and a nice edging. Loads of ideas in there if its your thing :)

11:41 am  
Blogger Hellbelle said...

Yellow! A brave move there, Ms Badger, but appropriate for snakey socks I suppose.

I look forward to progress pics with interest.

And nice gifts too, Jammy Badger :)

3:03 pm  
Blogger Linda said...

Lucky you with those pressies!! I am really not sure about the sideways socks pattern, but I do like the yellow!

6:45 pm  
Blogger florencemary said...

Whaddya think about the Grumperina link to the 'Morning Surf Scarf' for the lace weight? A relatively easy pattern giving a very nice effect? I'm going for it!

Glad you liked the yarn!

clarabelle xx

2:39 pm  
Blogger Sarah Ditum said...

What a prize! That Clarabelle is quite a gal. I've got no brilliant ideas for what you should make, but I've got no doubt that whatever that yarn becomes will be lovely.

9:38 pm  
Blogger Hawkesley said...

I'd not seen the Sidewinder sock before!! I'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses :-)

10:53 am  
Blogger Joanna said...

Nice colours for the sidewinder, can't wait to see how it progresses!

2:59 pm  
Blogger belaybunny said...

I love the colour of the socks, looking forward to seeing them grow!! nice stash too, although I don't have any suggestions on what to knit, sorry!

9:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home