Thursday, August 23, 2007

Summer shrug

More thoughts on the tencel/merino sock yarn, especially now it's been washed. It is very smooth and shiny and seems to glide along the needles whilst knitting it without being slippery. It stood up to a bit of frogging, but I'm not sure how well it would withstand repeated ripping back. It also doesn't seem to have the 'cling' of some sock yarns, and after washing the socks didn't seem to spring back into shape the way some socks do. I think choosing a stretchy stitch pattern would probably help with this, although I do wonder about whether the heel would bag and sag over time. I'd use it again, but I wouldn't actively seek out sock yarns containing tencel.

And now crochet! I've been practicing, and last week I made a shrug for the pirate. It's just a rectangle of treble crochet sewn up to make a shrug type shape - easy, and a really good way for me to practice holding the yarn and hook properly. Small person likes it too.






The yarn was just some acrylic DK from stash, and took just a couple of hours to make. This one's made me a happy badger.

17 Comments:

Blogger Hellbelle said...

The shrug is fab, that pic of Baby Badger drawing is lovely.

And (as if you didn't already know) I have nominated you for a Schmoozer. Moo!

9:38 pm  
Blogger Badger said...

Surely schmoo, not moo? Ta, Ms Moo!

9:42 pm  
Blogger Sarah said...

Happy Badger and Happy Pirate by the looks of it. A very cute shrug.

6:19 am  
Blogger Fiona Reynolds said...

Great shrug for the mini-pirate. Was she in a shop or was that your stash? Please tell me it was your stash. Please, go on, I'd like it to be your stash.

8:37 am  
Blogger Piglottie said...

Cool pirate shrug :) Thanks for the info on the tencel blend. Dont think I will end up a big fan, but its good to try it out.

1:03 pm  
Blogger florencemary said...

Pirate looks great! Good to find something which you've enjoyed making and girlie likes to wear.

Hope your acrylic was ok?! Just realised that on my blog, I didn't mean that YOU were the 'yarn snob extraordinaire', but ME! Sorry if you thought I was dissing you...eek.

4:05 pm  
Blogger Caroline M said...

The shrug (and the model) look lovely. I recognise that background, I did first think that your stash had escaped all over the floor but it was the hanging needles that gave it away (that and the yarn being mostly DB)

I have some merino/tencel socks that are over a year old and they have held up well. They've worn well and they didn't go baggy (they are rib though and that might have something to do with it)

10:06 pm  
Blogger Artis-Anne said...

Great shrug for Miss Badger , she sure looks pretty in it :)
Thanks for the tip re the tencel/merino sock yarn; I have just bought some and as you say it very shiny/silky, I might re-think the pattern I was going to use for it now !!

1:39 pm  
Blogger Seahorse said...

Shrug looks fab!

6:17 pm  
Blogger Kath said...

Nice to see more LYS as photoshoot locations! Love the shrug for Ms Pirate and sweet photos of her! You have been presented with an award, please see my blog for details!

8:31 pm  
Blogger belaybunny said...

The shrug looks great, she's grown lots!! Thanks for the info on the tencel blend, that's good to know!!

8:43 pm  
Blogger blog-blethers said...

No wonder Miss Badger looks chuffed with her shrug - it's great! I never thought I'd say this - but am desperately fighting the urge to find a 'crochet for dummies' book as have seen so many fab patterns around recently and I have this deluded notion that crocher is quicker than knitting?? Maybe I'd have a few more FO's then;)

10:34 pm  
Blogger Modelwidow said...

Lovely shrug and pretty model.

7:43 pm  
Blogger kathryn said...

She looks lovely in it!

8:22 pm  
Blogger maramcp said...

Badger! The shrug looks fab in the photos! Could you clear your PM box as I am desperate to send you a message...

8:58 pm  
Blogger Joanna said...

Such a lovely little shrug, I always find the yarn keeps creeping back into my knitting hand as I crochet, I think my hands go into auto knitting pilot!

6:17 pm  
Blogger Joy said...

What a lovely shrug - I'm pleased your camera has turned up.

Sometimes it's best not to ask, isn't it........

11:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home