Saturday, June 23, 2007

A finished sidewinder

I finished my sidewinder!




I love the yarn. Despite my usual abhorrence of yellow, I actually like this sock. The toe looks a tad wonky in the above photo (and is in real life, actually), but that's nothing to do with the pattern, just me.

This is the sock showing off it's vertical stripe goodness.


And this is me putting the sock on and it getting stuck.



Arse. I want to make it clear that I did get gauge, I did measure my foot, I did check Nona's size chart. What I didn't do was count on my abnormally high insteps causing this problem. The toe fits perfectly (and it just looks a bit wonky because when I realised it didn't fit I just whipstitched it closed, rather than grafting it properly), and a bit of measuring of the finished sock and measuring of me reveal that it is perfectly sized for absolutely every part of my foot, and leg apart from the damned instep.

The good thing is that I genuinely enjoyed knitting the pattern, and I now I know how the whole thing fits together I shall definitely knit it again and make the necessary modifications for my freak feet. Whether I cast on right now for the new sidewinder or wait a few weeks/ months/ years is still to be decided, but there will be sidewinders in my future.

14 Comments:

Blogger Hellbelle said...

Bummer :(

2:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Willy warmer for a bendy boy!

2:58 pm  
Blogger Badger said...

No! Bad super monkey!

3:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

COLLY WHOPPERS!

3:32 pm  
Blogger Sarah Ditum said...

Gah! So cruel! It's a very nifty pattern tho - I'm looking forward to your next go at it.

8:12 pm  
Blogger belaybunny said...

it looks great, shame it doesn't fit! Have you cast on again yet, or is it slung in the corner??

9:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a gift sock, start early for Christmas. You just need to find someone with the right sized feet.

8:46 am  
Blogger Joanna said...

It looks good, shame about the instep problem, but sounds like you've got the problem under control.

2:10 pm  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oh such a sad photo - a poor sock that cannot meet its destiny! Bad luck but at least you know what you're doing with this for when you fancy another go. I'm still pondering whether I can face the complexity of this pattern.

8:50 pm  
Blogger Linda said...

Well I won't be making those, my insteps are high and I have wide feet! Sorry it didn't fit but I do like the way the yarn patterned.

7:15 am  
Blogger Fiona Reynolds said...

Fantastic sock! It looks ever so good. Pity it doesn't fit but I suppose you have it sussed now.

7:57 am  
Blogger KnitYoga said...

Well, it looks great and you enjoyed the process of knitting it. Shame it doesn't fit but at least you know that you need to modify it when you feel like having another go.

12:39 pm  
Blogger Sarah Ditum said...

God I'm sorry about you getting hit in the flood. It turned out that we got away relatively lightly - we left at the high point and the flood never got to our ground floor (I'm very glad I wasn't sitting in a flooded house with a one year old, a five year and no leccy tho). Now I've had a chance to watch the telly I appreciate how mild our experience of the flood has been. How are you guys doing?

10:14 pm  
Blogger Piglottie said...

Wonderful sock (appropriate name as it looks very snakelike :) ). I hope you are OK as I know Sheffield has been hit bad by the floods. Thinking of you *hugs*

12:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home