Monday, October 02, 2006

What would you do?

So, lets suppose that a small person has a hatred of handknits. He has declared he would rather die than wear something his mother had knitted. He rolls his eyes whenever yarn is mentioned (which happens a lot in his household). He basically behaves in the way that typifies many 9 year old males.

What would you do if this small badger asked you to knit him something? If he came to you with a very specific request for a pair of wrist warmers with a yin and yang symbol on them? I'm guessing most of you would probably leap for joy, rush to the LYS and shed a tear that finally your offspring is beginning to appreciate the beauty that is wool. Not me. I promised the boy around 6 months ago that I would make these wrist warmers for him and then promptly forgot. A knitting friend from Swizerland was staying with me this weekend and she asked the boy if he had ever had anything knitted for him (mainly as the badger girl is nearly always clad in knitted goods). The boy looked sad and said "No, I did ask for something, but she never knitted it for me". Oh the shame! What could I do but quickly create a pair of the requested wristies?



Apparently they are cool, so I am now approved of by the boy - at least for the next few days, anyway....

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

brilliant!!! :D he does have the most adorable smile.

you knitted them up so quickly!

great to see you, thanks so much for the loan of the sofa and all the lovely cups of tea. see you soon for ali pali frivolities!

can't wait xx

8:07 am  
Blogger Kate said...

They're very cool. I bet my pirate hat wearing eight year old would approve, too. :-) Apparently matching mittens are not cool, though. :-(

10:07 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice wrist warmers!!

And doesn't 'the boy' have stunning eyes??!!!

10:23 am  
Blogger Piglottie said...

Great tale, with a wonderful happy ending! They look so cool!

1:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have never made them, just to spite him. This is why I am not allowed to breed.

They are cool though.

3:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh sore point..I'm trying to cope emotionally with my one and only 16 year practically loathing my knitting now.Yet I just can't knit what she wants it's all so boring and plain I might as well buy it. I have un-picked quite a few things I made her just a year ago .It will take me time but they will be added to my shawls .I feel pretty redundant these days .

5:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They look brill!...I find it harder to make things for boys rather than girls....so i know the feeling of being rather forgetful as handbags and scarves are just easy to do lol....how the hell do i knit a 'camo' jumper???

At least you can do intarsia lol....i'll be needing varigated and therapy!!!!!!!!!

8:28 pm  
Blogger Hellbelle said...

Better late than never :)

Cool wrist bands, very zen.

9:08 pm  
Blogger acrylik said...

They are cool! They look fantastic and look like they are treasured.

9:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd have told him to bugger off and then made him a really ugly ill-fitting pink jumper with 'Mummy's Little Soldier' written on the front and then sent him out to play with his friends.

This is why I too am not allowed to breed.

8:09 am  
Blogger Rain said...

SHAME!

They look fantastic.

9:48 am  
Blogger Hawkesley said...

Fab wrist warmers! All his friends will want them too and it'll be the new craze at school. You'll be inundated with orders :-)

9:59 am  
Blogger Alice said...

The knitting is cool and the boy is CUTE

3:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a good Badger Mom!! They look so cool and he will be the envy of his friends and so he will think you are super cool to be able to make thinks like that for him

4:54 pm  
Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Most excellent wristwarmers!

6:19 pm  
Blogger blog-blethers said...

No wonder he loves his writst warmers! They are the height of coolness! How many requests have you had to do them for all his friends???

2:08 pm  
Blogger KnitYoga said...

Oh, those are absolutely fabulous! I love them!

4:13 pm  
Blogger Auntie Noo said...

I don't know what the problem is - 6 months isn't a long time to wait, and at least you knew he REALLY wanted them, 'cos he remembered!!!!

10:24 am  
Blogger Ces Adorio said...

Very nice and yes, that is cool. Now you need to knit him skateboarding beanies - you will be ultra cool. They cost a bundle here in the states. I just bought one for $45.00. In fact, why don't you make them and sell them?

4:45 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where are you? Too long between posts.... hope you are OK.
Jill - Wool Baa

10:38 pm  
Blogger Hellbelle said...

Do something with your blog, Missus!! We know you're in there hiding!!!

And tell us some weird things about yourself too!! *see my blog for details!!*

10:42 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home