Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Nearly finished

The Polly Pocket dress is almost fnished. I stopped procrastinating a few nights ago and knitted the other pocket and did the edgings. I was feeling very pleased with myself until I noticed I hadn't used the 3.25mm needles called for the edging, but rather one 3.25 and one 3.75. Still, it doesn't appear to have made a big difference as the neck and armholes look fine despite with the mismatched needle sizes!

I've also decided that I need to stop sticking to what I know in knitting and start trying new things. I have only ever used backstitch for sewing up as this was the only way my mum taught me, and so the first thing I wanted to teach myself was mattress stitch. I had a quick look at the instructions in this book and then set off. It was sooo easy! I whizzed through the side seams of the dress and couldn't get over how simple and neat it was. It also seems that it would be a lot easier to rip out than backstitch if the seaming needed to be redone (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Clearly deciding to expand my knitting and finishing techniques is a good idea!

Based on the mattress stitch experiment working out so well I am going to hopefully attempt the following techniques in the near future:

Knitting continental style
Fair isle
Double knitting
Knitting socks on 2 circulars
Magic loop

I think that's enough new techniques for now ;)

In other knitting news I have begun knitting a pair of socks for a friend. Other than the baby badger I have never knitted socks for anyone else, so I'm concerned about ensuring a good fit, especially as her feet are considerably bigger than mine. I've held off knitting socks for others as gifts as they are a lot of effort for people who may not understand the amount of time that goes into them, but this is a friend who I used to work with and who witnessed the sock knitting I did every lunch time. She knows how long they take and has always expressed a desire for handknitted socks, so when she told me she was getting a new job it seemed a perfect reason to make her some socks. These are knitting up remarkably quickly, and I'm sure it's the yarn that's making me want to work on them. Watching the colours and stripes develop is holding my interest remarkably well (I'm clearly easily amused).

And here is the sock in all it's stripey glory

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the stripy sock - I couldn't be so generous, but I'm sure your pal will be delighted and appreciate just what a hand knitted pair of socks means. Know what you mean about sticking to what you can do, there are so many techniques that simply give me the willies - will have to conquer them one day.

10:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that's a great idea, to set goals to try new techniques. It's easy to get in a 'I can do that' rut and not think to try new things. Adults are very good at forgetting that we have to make a conscious effort to pick up new things from time to time. Just one of the reasons why I keep thinking I ought to find a knitting group.

10:45 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

What yarn is the sock knitted in? I want some! Do tell me it's not hand dyed by one woman working on her own who never answers emails, though... *sighs*

I keep telling myself I'll try new techniques "when I get time". So that would be my excuse for why I still haven't learnt to crochet properly...

I've got the yarn and pattern for a fair isle pirate hat so that's going to be my first venture into colourwork.. Plus I've told eldest son that he is getting it, so there'll be no end of pressure for me to knuckle down and knit it!

7:12 am  
Blogger dianemulholland said...

I love the sock - I'm also a bit hesitant to knit socks for other people, can you run after them calling 'please try it on, the needles won't poke you...'

I have a similar list of things to try too. My mum will tell you it's because I can't handle the idea that I don't know how to do something (she may be right), I don't know how many times I've finally learnt something new and then kicked myself for not doing it all along.

I did try double knitting a while back though and HATED IT. it was so tedious. I'd rather knit the pattern twice and then sew it together back to back, I think it would be quicker and less fiddly.

(sorry, are comments supposed to be short ;-)?)

7:57 am  
Blogger dianemulholland said...

p.s. if you want a tempting fair isle pattern check out 'Jack Sparrow's Favourite Socks' on knitting pattern central. And yes you are allowed to dream about Johnny Depp while you knit them :-D

7:59 am  
Blogger Auntie Noo said...

Love the socks!! - I'm not too bad with new techniques - my problem is more that I don't know what's out there to do - if that makes sense?? I'd never heard of short rows before joining the forum for example!!! (how sad is that!!) - My knitting was still on the basis of everything I learnt when I was 8! - And that was a lot - i did colour work, and aran, but it seems knitting has progressed!!!!!

8:09 am  
Blogger Seahorse said...

Fab sock!

Good luck with learning the new techniques. I think it's one of the best things about the 'net, all these new things to learn and help and advice right at your fingertips!

12:47 pm  
Blogger Hellbelle said...

Cool socks, love those colours!

I too want to learn continental knitting, as I think it will be helpful for fair isle... which is MUCH nicer to do than intarsia, btw :)

1:16 pm  
Blogger Melody said...

I LOVE those socks - lovely colours!!

8:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home