Saturday, July 01, 2006

Late night hooker

I went to a crochet class on Wednesday and learnt how to wield a hook for the first time. I have to say I was totally incompetant and couldn't get the hang of it. However, I had a bout of insomnia last night and so thought I'd have another go. I made a few practice swatches of different stitches and then decided I'd make a granny square. I got the instructions from "The Happy Hooker" and it was so easy! Granny squares are now my favouritist thing in the world - they're dead quick and use stash, what more could you want?!

Here is my precious first ever proper piece of crochet




I also got a parcel this morning which contained two skeins of Fyberspates laceweight in colourway foxglove. This was a swap with a friend from the AY forum and is such a beautiful colour.



My mind isn't made up yet about what to make with it, although I'm currently leaning towards Ene's Scarf from "Scarf Style". If you can think of any other shawls that take no more than 900 metres of laceweight then let me know!

7 Comments:

Blogger Hellbelle said...

Yay for your first granny square! Crochet is fun. And quick too. But wait, what is this?...is that yellow yarn??????? "Help desk, my monitor is on the blink."

9:42 pm  
Blogger dianemulholland said...

Yay for granny squares, they rock! Everyone in Australia (almost) has a granny square rug somewhere in their house ;-)

10:26 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

You could probably knit a reasonably-sized Flower Basket shawl with that much laceweight. But Ene's Scarf is beautiful and on my to-do list so I'd rather you knit that so I can live vicariously through you. ;-)

And crochet classes? How posh! That's a very impressive granny square, missus!

8:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the granny square - I've forgotten how to do those, though I could turn them out no problem at all when I was little. How about one of the "Tie one on" designs on Knitty for your laceweight? By the way, the yarn I'm using for the Icarus shawl is Kaalund Enchante.

12:44 am  
Blogger acrylik said...

Yay for granny squares, they are the best way to crochet something up really quickly, it looks great. I love the colourway of the Fyberspates yarn.

5:34 pm  
Blogger Auntie Noo said...

I love the colourway of the Fyberspates, very pretty. Haven't seen a piccie of the scarf you're thinking of, but can't wait to see it knitted up a bit, bet it'll be gorgeous.

6:56 am  
Blogger dianemulholland said...

You haven't posted for aaaages. Are you too busy making granny squares ;-)

8:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home