Friday, July 14, 2006

Pockets make all the difference!

Whilst knitting the Polly Pocket dress I tried to persuade baby badger to try it on or let me hold it against her so I could check the fit. Every time I went near her with the dress she would run away, shouting "I don't like it!". I therefore had my doubts about whether the dress would ever get worn at all when finished. However, I needn't have worried. When I sewed the pockets on, her attitude magically changed, and she demanded to wear it. Result!!!




She even did the pretty dress pose:



Details:

Pattern: Polly Pocket dress from Miss Bea's Seaside

Needles: Inox aluminium straights 4mm

Yarn: Rowan Denim, Nashville and Ecru

Pre shrinkwash dimensions: length - 64cm, width - 24 cm

Post shrinkwash dimensions: length - 56cm, width 24 cm

Modifications/thoughts: I increased the length of the hem by 2 inches to ensure it would fit the small one for as long as possible. Other than that, I knitted it exactly as the pattern specified as it was well written and straightforward to follow. The yarn was supposed to shrink by 20% in length but it was closer to 15%. This didn't matter in a dress such as this for a growing badger, but it would make me cautious of using the yarn for a project for myself. I didn't particularly enjoy knitting with the denim cotton but the way it looks and feels after the shrinkwash is very nice, which makes me think I may use it again for projects for the offspring. Also, the fact that it can just be thrown in the washing machine means it scores bonus points in this household ;) Overall, I'd knit it again but this is one of those knits that's all about the product rather than the process.


13 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

What a little sweetie your Small Badger is! Lovely cute dress. And intarisa too! I bow to your superior knitting skill. :D

10:51 am  
Blogger Catknit said...

Really purdy, Badger, I love that 'little girl in a new dress pose', my two are too big to do that now but we have loads of photos from when they were tots.
I agree with what you said about the denim, theres a pattern in the rowan denim book which has bleach splattered on it after knitting but I'm a bit scared of two risky elements! (the shrinkage and the bleach)
your daughter looks lovely tho!

11:45 am  
Blogger Auntie Noo said...

That second photo is a gem!!! - Gorgeous little badger in a fabulously well knitted dress.

11:47 am  
Blogger Seahorse said...

Those pics are lovely! Well done on the FO :)

3:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cute little Badger she is!! And the dress is fab!! Well dome Mummy Amelie!!

4:17 pm  
Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Very cute! The dress looks great :-)

Best of luck with trying out the knitting techniques you mentioned too. Fair isle is definitely on my list :-)

5:25 pm  
Blogger Jinann said...

Wow! What a lovely dress! And such a precious little girl! My poor daughter just got basic pullovers knitted by me when she was young....nothing as ambitious as this! (My "little girl" is 23 now - they grow up soooo fast!)

5:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wish my girls were smaller now lol
Although eldest says she likes this !!!!!!
You have such beautiful little girl
and she looks great in the dress.
Linz x.

6:57 pm  
Blogger dianemulholland said...

I want a little girl to make cute stuff for!!! Have you seen the sweet little top on Knit and Tonic? I am tired of cardis and hats and want baby Bea to grow up a bit.

Little Badger is so gorgeous, you must be falling all over the place with pride :-)

10:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doesn't baby badger look swell in her new dress? It looks like one of those simple yet really effective designs - lovely.

12:37 am  
Blogger Melody said...

That dress is SO gorgeous, and what a lovely little badger too!

8:47 am  
Blogger acrylik said...

Beautiful dress and I just love the cute pose!

9:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where's the monkey?

12:13 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home