Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Cackle cackle

"When shall Badger knit again, in thunder lightenining or in rain?"

In all three actually! The weather has turned and the knitting mojo has returned at last. So much knitting, yet so few photos. There will be proper pics next post (honest!).

Anyway, it has been another mail filled week in the Badger sett, and first up was the new Rowan mag. I've been feeling less and less inspired by the Rowan mags over the last few years, so wasn't expecting great things from this one, but I was so wrong - it is excellent! There are ten different garments that I would love to make and only a few that have me reaching for the puke bucket (Murmansk braces anyone?!). I actually already have the kid classic needed to make Eva and so am thinking of making that my next me-sized project. However, the one that leaps out at me, grabbing me by the needles and whispering seductively "Knit me" is Lorelei.


This is the most beautiful sweater I've seen in a long time and I want it now! However, as my fairisle skills are currently non-existent and I don't have the yarn in stash this will not be being made in the immediate future. However, I have already formulated my Lorelei plan and strategies. Firstly I need to learn how to knit fairisle. I've found a pattern for a simple kiddies hat and will knit that as a practice piece. Then comes the money/wool issue. I'm going to demand that Father Christmas brings me the yarn for this for crimbo and so I shall start being a lot nicer and try to cut down on the naughtiness from now until December in the hope that I will get what I want. Sorted!

I also got my posh yarns sock yarn this week. The colour is confetti and very pale and girly. I think I like it, but as it's not 'my' colours, I'm not gushing over it. I think a simple lace pattern would work well with this, what do you think?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I also joined the posh yarns lace club and got the first skein


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I love the colour, and it is a wonderfully soft blend of cashmere and angora. The only quibble I have, is that apparently members of the lace club are being sent different yarn blends of laceweight. I asked Dee, the owner of posh yarns, about this, and she said that it was because people from varying countries tended to order different yarn blends to each other. This seems reasonable, except that Dreamcatcher mentioned on the AY forum that she got pure silk. Now, last time I went to Lancashire I didn't think it was a different country! Dee has said that all members will receive the same value of yarns over the course of the membership, but she hasn't said that all members will receive the same yarns but just in a different order. There seems a big difference to my mind between the same yarns and same value of yarns - I'll wait and see what happens with the next shipment before deciding whether to be a grumpster about it ;)

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know fine well what my feelings are about the great Lancashire Yorkshire divide. It is great! And we are seperate countries! And obviously this Dee character knows her stuff. Good on her, I say.

7:43 am  
Blogger Rain said...

Lol, Lancashire and Yorkshire are worlds apart!

I think it may be a stock issue, they send out what they have ready rather than trying to get a whole batch of one thing. I don't think they realised how popular they would become. As they've said, the value works out over the course of the arrangement so you may find you have something much nicer than everyone else next time.

I do like the Mulberry, but like you don't think the sock yarn is to my taste, but you never know it might surprise you when you've knitted it up.

9:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please don't be a grumpster! The silk came in as we were doing the last of the lace club batches, so I popped a few skeins in to see how they went. You'll get silk in time, I promise!

11:33 am  
Blogger Catknit said...

I was a bit confused by that too, but since my yarn is yummy good, I'm not complaining. My only problem was that my spam blocker had eaten the email Dee sent with details of the yarn but all is sorted now.
Just have to decide what to make with it....

2:12 pm  
Blogger Lothlorian said...

wow yummies yummies everywhere, and come on some knitterly piccies are much needed what have you been making do tell :)

2:56 pm  
Blogger Hellbelle said...

Yay! Do the fair isle thing. It's fun!

2:58 pm  
Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Did ye not have to show your passport at border control last time you visited? LOL! I tell you it can get very parky near the sea here on the west coast!

Have been very remiss and not phot'd my silk skein yet, hoping to remedy that tomorrow. Might have had a revolt from the small furry chaps if they hadn't been cleaned out tonight because I was pootling around with yarn :-D

11:15 pm  
Blogger T said...

Ploppies! I did a wonderfully witty comment and blogger/my laptop decided against it :(

Never fear, Dee will sort you out I'm sure. I have dibs on being grumpster anyway ;o) I know nothing about Oop t'North and Yorkshire or Lancashire as I am a white stiletto-ed Essex girl. Can't do fairisle either, no help there then :D

Thanks for compliments on my current stuff :) You're blogrolled now, that'll teach you!

7:04 pm  
Blogger acrylik said...

I still have to show my Lancashire passport everytime I come "home" to the north east - they won't let me back over the border without getting a visa you know! ;D

I think you're right about the sock yarn, a lace pattern would look good.

And I loved this Rowan mag too - but then I tend to love them all...

7:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can knit that ..it's a fairly simple fair-isle..sadly my daughter fell for the Kidsilk Haze dress ..only 30 balls of the stuff !..I'm not even going to try .I do love a lot of the patterns especially the Kaffe.

12:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home